Postdoctoral Research Opportunities in Thailand
Post doctoral research opportunities abound in plenty for students in Thailand. Opportunities exist for Thai as well as international students. Several organisations offer research opportunities for post doctoral positions.
TWAS-BIOTEC Postdoctoral Fellowship
BIOTEC provides an allowance per month to cover living costs such as food and residence. Scholarship is for programmes which are English medium. Applicants for the fellowship must meet these criteria:
- They should be hailing from developing countries except Thailand
- They should not be permanent or temporary visa holders in Thailand/any developed nation
- Students must have a PhD degree in fields such as molecular genetics, biochemistry, organic chemistry, bioinformatics or associated disciplines
- Students must opt for fellowship after obtaining PhD within 5 years
- They also must be regularly employed at an institution in a research based position
- They should also have skills in English if education is not English medium
- They should be able to furnish evidence that they will return to country of residence following the end of the fellowship
- Students should also not take up any other assignment for the entire duration of the fellowship
- They bear financial responsibility for family members who come with them
- Application process: The deadline for receipt of applications is within the first fortnight of September every year.
- Reference letters should be clearly prepared according to format and guidelines.
NSTDA Postdoctoral Fellowship
National Science and Technology Development Agency provides students with the opportunity to share knowledge and research expertise with NSTDA scientists at the well known Thailand Science Park
Applicants for the fellowship must meet these criteria:
- They should be scientific exports or scientists who have gotten the doctorate within 5 years from well known universities or research institutions
- The students must be able to have the capacity to work full time with scientists for 1 year minimum and 2 years maximum
Disciplines in which the fellowship is applicable include metallurgy, biotechnology,computer and electronics and nanotechnology. Successful candidates receive insurance as well as monthly stipends and airfare.
NECTEC Postdoctoral Scholarship
NECTEC or National Electronics and Computer Technology Centre is one of 4 tech centres under the National Science and Technology Development Agency. NECTEC is specialised for study of electronics and computer technologies and it provides research opportunities for Thai as well as international postdoctoral scientists. NECTEC has created professional researchers who excel in their field.
Scholarship Focus Areas: Supporting engineering, increasing the depth of professional research and conducting R&D explorations is the aim of the fellowship. The topics under which scholarship is provided include semantic web/linked data migration framework, Big Data, Machine Learning, Knowledge Management and Data Mining to name a few.
Eligibility criteria: For this fellowship include attainment of a Phd degree within 5 years and applicants should also have one article published in journals which are peer reviewed of which they will be the first authors. Applicants should also be proficient in English and work full time apart from being under 40 years of age.
- Applicants must be proficiency at communicating and writing in English.
- Applicants must be able to work full time.
- Preferred under 40 years of age on the date of application.
Scholarship Benefits: Fellowship involves receipt of fixed yearly salary and benefits such as health and life insurances. For applying for the scholarship, students must have completed an application form along with transcript and certificate of doctorate, first passport page, dissertation abstract as well as statement of intent. Apart from this, recommendation letters outlining performance evaluation and previous publications is a must.
NARIT Postdoctoral Scholarship
NARIT is a leading organisation which manages the Thai National Observatory at Doi Inthanon with a 2.4 m telescope, the largest in South East Asia. For an advanced postdoctoral position, students must excel in any one of the following fields: exoplanets, stellar evolution, stellar astrophysics, cosmology and radio astronomy. Citizens who possess a PhD in astronomy, physics or associated sciences not more than 8 years following the start of their contract can apply for this scholarship.
There are many scholarships and fellowships available for post doctoral research students and assistants in Thailand. There is plenty of financial assistance for students to be able to support themselves and pursue academic excellence.