Admission Requirements for Doctorate Courses in Thailand
Overview: Duration and Language of Thai PhD Courses
Language: PhD and doctoral degree courses are offered by Thai universities in numerous languages including English. These doctoral degree courses range from business management to information technology, computer science to finance and economics. International programs are available at campuses across Bangkok, Chiangmai, Khon Kaen and Phuket. Doctoral courses in Thailand are perfect for those who want to excel in research, academia or the industry.
Duration: PhD courses at Thai universities take at least 3 years. First year comprises coursework which prepares the student for his research. An individual thesis program is then assigned to the students in line with topics of a particular field of study, Finally, research candidates need to publish their scientific work in journals which are internationally refereed.
Admission Requirements for Doctoral Programs
Credits Needed: One of the most popular choices for doctoral degree studies is business management. For those who do not have management background, the following credits are needed:
- 12 from certain MBA courses
- 18 credits for course-work: 12 credits from Doctoral level courses and one special study of 3 credits as well as 3 credits from an MBA elective
- This adds up to a total of 30 credits before advancement to admission stage.
For students with some management background, 6 credits are needed from stipulated MBA programs while 18 credits of coursework are needed. Of this, 12 credits must be from PhD courses plus 3 credits from 1 special study and 3 credits from MBA elective, totalling 24 credits in all.
GPA Requirements: Doctoral students must maintain top GPA scores(at least 3.5) in academic performance and present their progress in coursework as well as research to program committees. Qualifying examination for advancement to candidacy is also held. Prior to advancing for the doctoral degree course students must have the done the following:
- Satisfied minimum credit requirement for the course
- Maintained a satisfactory cumulative GPA minimum of 3.5
- Demonstrate broad knowledge in the doctoral subject
- Pass the qualifying examination conducted by the Program Committee
- Demonstrate knowledge in chosen field through public seminar and defence of their thesis in oral exams
- Advancement to candidacy exam must be completed by the 3rd semester for resident doctoral students and 4th semester for non resident doctorates.
Dissertation proposal should have the following qualities:
- Comprehensive literature survey
- Discussion of research undertaken and experimental methods employed
- Dissertation should be in required format
- Dissertation equals 66 credits for a doctoral program in regular settings
Thai Entrance/Test Requirements
Doctoral degrees require anywhere between 2 to 5 years of study. This totals 48 credits following a Master’s program and 72 credits following a Bachelor’s program with associated course-work and research component.
Master’s degree with GPA of at least 3.5 is needed for entrance into doctoral programs though there have been instances of exceptional undergraduates also making it to the program.
Popular Courses Offered At Doctoral Level in Thailand
A wide plethora of courses are offered at doctoral level in Thailand including the following:
- Social Sciences
- Business Management/Administration
- Liberal Arts
- Information Technology
Admission Process and Academic Calendar for Doctoral Degree Courses in Thailand
The semester starts in August and students must have completed admission formalities at least 2 to 3 months beforehand. Visa processing also takes time and students need to be up to date with document submission to ensure timely admissions.